Does your website reach people residing in the European Union? If so, you need to know about the new GDPR guidelines that are taking affect in May 2018. Here are the details:
About the GDPR
The GENERAL DATA PROTECTIONS REGULATION (GDPR) is a ruling that was put in place to protect the data of citizens living within the European Union. It gives citizens a greater amount of control over their personal information.
As of May 25, 2018, heavy fines will be brought against any business who does not meet the guidelines set forth by the GDPR.
Who is affected by the GDPR?
The GDPR applies to all citizens of the European Union and/or businesses operating within the EU, regardless of physical location. This means if your online business has reach to anywhere in the EU, your business will fall under these guidelines and can be held accountable under the GDPR.
What sort of data will fall under the GDPR?
- Email address
- Social media posts
- Personal medical information
- IP addresses
- Bank details
Possible penalties for not complying with the GDPR
Businesses that fail to comply with the new guidelines will be subject to fines starting in May of 2018. The fines depend on the nature of the infractions but can be up to 20 million euros or 4% of the companies profits whichever is the highest!
What can you do to prepare your website for the GDPR?
- You must have a “Terms and Condtions” Page that states the following:
- This is why we are taking your data
- This is what we will do with your data
- This is who will share your data with
- This is how you opt out
- Any Opt-in or other area that you have on your website that collects a persons data (see list above) needs to ask the person to read and agree to your Terms and Conditions
- If your data is breached you must be able to contact all people affected by that breach within 72 hours (so if you are hacked, you must send your list an email stating such)
- You must be able to completely delete a persons information from your site if they ask
If you need help with ensuring that your website is ready for GDPR, I am offering a 5% discount on my hourly rate to help you be ready. Make sure to start soon, May is fast approaching!
I look forward to helping you make sure your website is GDPR complaint,
P.S. If you would like to read more about the GDPR check out these articles:
Share this with your friends and receive $20 usd off your next months invoice!*
*Please have your friend contact me here and they can fill in the form that you referred them, do not send me their information for privacy reasons. Thank you!